Schust is looking for a Safety Manager who has a passion for fostering a safety-first culture and has a drive to build a best-in-class safety program. Reporting to the Vice President of Technical Services, the Safety Manager will plan, direct, coordinate, and oversee safety initiatives and activities throughout the Schust organization including the fabrication facility, field operations, engineering, project management, and sales departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the development, implementation and management of Schust safety, health, and environmental programs, policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Set annual objectives and targets by monitoring compliance, making improvements, and auditing progress.
- Track and maintain injury and incident reports
- Conduct investigations and prepare reports identifying any possible accident causes and hazards by company personnel to senior management.
- Conduct project jobsite compliance audits to identify and mitigate potential risks.
- Conduct field investigations and serve as liaison with customer and insurers for loss claims.
- Maintain required OSHA training relative to CFR 1910 and 1926 requirements.
- Maintain MSHA training and compliance reporting
- Maintain company safety information with third party safety vetting sites ex. ISNetworld
- Develop department to support multiple locations
- Provide engineering department with safety parameter design interpretations relative to OSHA requirements pertaining to Schust products and services
- Schedule, coordinate, and perform relevant employee safety training
- Standardize and inventory PPE and other safety peripherals assigned to and maintained by our employees actively involved in production activities.
- Safety Manager leads monthly safety review meetings with senior management.
- Experience in both construction and manufacturing safety environments
- Strong written and verbal communication and other relationship-building skills required
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to manage several tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Effective leader and strong negotiator with safety professionals, regulatory and/or industry organizations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Experience processing workers compensation claims should it be required
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational safety preferred, but not required; three to five years minimum related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience such as CDS (Certified Director of Safety) and/or CSP (Certified Safety Professional)
- 5 years (minimum) experience implementing and/or managing safety programs in a fabrication/ construction environment.
- Prefer experience in OSHA, MSHA, DOT, and EPA regulatory requirements
- Must have acceptable current drivers’ license.
- Available for domestic travel to Schust branch offices and project construction sites required, overnight at least 30-50% of the time
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience
- Complete insurance coverage including health, vision and dental
- 401 (k) with company match
- Tuition reimbursement